An active, well-formed Parish Finance Council is a key element for promoting the financial health of a parish, assuring accountability and assisting the pastor with his temporal responsibilities.
As required by canon law, we are accountable to you, the parishioners and to the diocesan bishop to provide:
- Stewardship of collected funds
- Financial condition of OMC
- Fund raising
- Risk management and
- Facility improvement / maintenance
While the Parish Finance Council does not have decision making authority, we view consultation as the heart of the decision-making process. Sharing information, investigating, monitoring, listening, contributing to the discussion, and promoting consensus is how we function best.
Members should have a love for the Church and its mission and develop a thorough understanding of the parish’s mission, goals, people and other resources. The members should have knowledge of diocesan statutes and policies regarding temporal issues and other financial matters.
- Reviewing income and expenses to insure that we remain on budget and in compliance with the diocesan Chart of Accounts
- Review of internal control and procedures
- Promoting the principles and practice of Christian stewardship
- Coordinating all major fund raising efforts
- Annual inspection of parish facilities and assets
- Addressing all major administrative matters concerning the purchase, sale, renovation or construction of parish facilities
- We meet approximately four times per year and normally serve for a three year period.
- Members are requested to actively serve on committees to provide adherence to established policies and procedures.
The pastor, a chairperson, a secretary and 6 to 8 parishioners with expertise in temporal affairs such as financial / property management, business administration, construction, real estate and or law.
So that we can continue to grow and flourish as a vibrant parish our goal is to recruit at least two new members each year.
If you have the time, talent, inspiration and motivation to be a steward in this capacity for OMC, please contact Fr. Steven.